Epson Stylus CX5800F Suddenly Wont Print On Hardy 64Bit Using CUPS+Gutenprintv5.0.2 Simplified

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 2 23:15:12 UTC 2008

On 10/01/2008 09:06 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Baffling! I've set up this printer and used it on several versions of
> Ubuntu including Dapper, Gutsy and Hardy but now it wont work. I have
> removed and reinstalled the drivers on both Vista and Hardy several
> times and only once after the first reinstall was I able to print the
> test page and self-test page(Hardy) then sending an OO.o spreadsheet
> Income Tax document to the printer it wouldn't print anything
> anymore. I have printed said document on this machine with Hardy 64
> bit using the titled driver many times recently but it now wont
> print. I have 3 printers(same printer) shown in Printer
> Configuration-localhost(using kde 4.1.1) two with Device URI:
> epson:/dev/usb/lp0 and one with usb://EPSON/Stylus%20CX5800F all of
[snips for brevity]
> using the right key words.  All drivers for Vista and Hardy are the
> latest. I haven't a clue what is wrong or what to try next.
> Appreciate any advice for a fix and will be glad to send any info I
> may have left out. Setting up a linux Ubuntu printer is something
> I've done a few times all with succes until now.  Thanks for any
> suggestions.
>
> Leonard Chatagnier
>
> lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net

OK I'll bite (but only if you promise to set your postings to wrap at 72
chars & use paragraphs).

My guess is that it's a Republican printer :-)

1. Have you checked your USB settings: 1) in bios, 2) moved the USB to a
different USB port (back of machine) 3) cable etc? Also try a different
cable & try the same usb cable on an different device. USB cables can go
bad (though not often); trying the cable with another device can at
least verify that the cable is good. If it is then you may have a hosed
USB port on the printer itself.... next time buy a Brother or other
machine with both an ethernet port and a usb port. [1]
2. Checked your system logs & lsusb after plugging/unplugging the usb
port? Removed _all_ Epson printers from Hardy's printer utility & then
rebooted and reinstalled just one?
3. Tried the printer on a different system?
4. Tried the Epson troubleshooting guide? Run a printer self test?
5. Do you get any error messages on the printer itself? Can you you
print anything from any other program (Vista or Ubuntu)?

All of the above may seem pretty simplistic/obvious, but you never
know... My guess is that you have a hardware (probably cable/usb port
problem).

[1] This was a saver when my son's machine got nailed by lightening down
in Florida. His USB cable, the PC USB port, and the USB port on his
Brother MFC were blown. When I put him on Ubuntu (on a recycled machine)
I tested the printer cable and the port, determined them bad, and
instead hooked up the printer to the ethernet port connected into an old
5 port linksys hub & it's been working perfectly ever since.