Moving from Fedora to Ubuntu - am I doing the right thing?

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Thu Oct 2 16:23:57 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 05:14:47PM +0100, Chris G wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 11:48:34AM -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 04:37:44PM +0100, Chris G wrote:
> > > I've been running Fedora (7 and 8) for the past year or two, before
> > > that I ran Slackware for several years.
> > >
> > > I'm considering moving to Ubuntu and I'm wondering if my reasons are
> > > right.
> > >

> > No - your making  a huge mistake.
> >
> > And seriously, aren't you the only one who can make that judgement?
> >
> Well yes, and I'm going to, but I was asking for some help in making
> that decision.
>
> For a start why do you think I'm making "a huge mistake"?  It would
> be useful for me to know so it can help me make my decision.

What I think I was trying to communicate to you, evidently
unsuccessfuly, was that this is not the place to ask.  This is a
pro-Ubuntu forum.  It might be better to ask if anyone here moved from
Fedora to Ubuntu and their reasons, and then perhaps wander to the
Fedora side and ask them what they think.

I will say this, both systems are very solid and the longer you use GNU
systems the more they all look the same.  Fedora has Redhat backing
still and has advanced server features dificult for others to keep up
with.  and the apt-get feature of all the debian based systems have
advantages that rpm systems fail at.  But I've hosed both package
managment systems before ... for what it is worth.

I generally hate all package management systems and consider them a
necessary evil.

You might wander over to cheapbytes.com and take a look at the pink-tie
distros as well.

Ruben