New to Ubuntu

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 18:39:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 6:55 PM, James Nelson <jnelson at csisystems.net> wrote:
> i'm new to linux and i was looking for a little help. i just installed
> Ubuntu Hardy Heron and i'm trying to connect to the internet. i use my
> laptop for work alot of the time and i was used to turning on my wireless
> and it world automatically grab an IP address and i was good to go. i have a
> Realtek RTL- 8139 Ethernet controller. just need a little help. Thank you.

Firstly, has your wireless card been detected. A quick way to tell is
to left click the icon in the top right corner of the default desktop
layout - it's the nm-applet you're interested in. You should see an
entry for your on-board ethernet port (the wired network) and
hopefully there's at least one entry under the "Wireless network"
part. Do you get  that much?

If you don't, we can assume that your Realtek controller has not been
recognised and we'll be resorting to using ndiswrapper.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0