Root In My Home

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 30 23:36:42 UTC 2008

--- On Sun, 11/30/08, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:

> From: Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net>
> Subject: Re: Root In My Home
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 3:23 PM
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > So I cded to the directory and found several files
> with root permission
> > which were:
> >
> > kfindrc katesyntaxhighlightingrc  katepartscriptrc
> katepartpluginsrc
> > dolphinrc
> >
> > I don't think this should be but don't know
> for sure. This is a fresh
> > intrepid install and the only thing I've done
> besides upgrading and
> > installing additional packages is start the
> installation process for
> > the new alpha 64 bit flashplayer. Anyone know
> what's going on, should I
> > chown the root files in my home to me or are they
> supposed to be like
> > that. Any quidance appreciated. TIA,
>
> Those are config files in your home directory so you should
> chown them. I
> suppose you have used sudo to start dolphin and from
> dolphin kfind and
> kate. Then as root the programs saved the config files in
> your directory
> instead of the appropriate directory /root/.kde/whatever
> and from then on
> the files were owned by root. If you want to start
> graphical applications
> you should better use kdesudo or gksudo instead of sudo to
> avoid those
> problems.

Thanks Nils, for the quick reply and info. I have used Dolphin to read info on the HDD on other Ubuntu partitions but never with sudo,that I remember anyway. Usually, I'm looking to copy a bookmarks.html, an .ods from Documents and the like. Never remembered having to use sudo but the mind is old and sometimes feeble-:)) I'll chown the files and remember about kdesudo and gksudo, I hope. Thanks again for the info,
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net