connecting to x over phone lines

Linda haniganwork at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 30 04:18:35 GMT 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 11/20/2008 09:05 AM, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
>
>> Linda wrote:
>>
>>> Just wondering is there a way I can allow someone to connect via phone
>>> line and use x based programs from their home windows computers?
>>>
>> Others have recommended VNC. That's a better choice than straight X.
>> Even better is FreeNX. With a very lightweight window manager, like
>> fluxbox, it will work reasonably well. Anything that is more
>> full-featured, like Gnome or KDE, will be painful on dial-up but quite
>> acceptable on broadband.
>>

> +1 on FreeNX/NX; Settings can be from modem up to LAN, and the Windows
> client works exceptionally well.
>
> For Linda:
>
> http://www.nomachine.com/
>   http://www.nomachine.com/download.php
> http://freenx.berlios.de/
> http://developer.berlios.de/projects/freenx/
>   https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FreeNX
> http://www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR12B00111
> [Why use the NX Server software when I can use FreeNX available under an
> OSS license?]

Thanks for all the links. I think I understand how freenx works and am
pretty sure I could work it over my network, however I don't see how I
can do it with my modem connection. Right now I dial in using ckermit
and logon to a terminal session with getty  I don't think there would be
anyway to escape back to the local and have a connection between the
client and the server.  If you escape back and try to ssh it asks to
close the serial connection.  Is there a different way to connect to
computers using a modem on both ends, yet still allow me to connect
with kermit for terminal sessions.
                        Linda