Transferring Files to New Ubuntu System

Anthony M. Rasat anthony.rasat at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 19:12:46 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:
>    Since he is using a cross-over >cable, I do not think he can ping the
>other computer. In fact a cross-over >cable went out with the serial
>cable a few years ago. What am I >missing?

I think you were confused with laplink cable. Crossover cable is UTP cable with different wiring compare to straight UTP cable (as matter of fact you just swap places of white-yellow, yellow wire with white-green, green wire to make a straight become crossover).

Benefit of a crossover cable is you don't have to own a hub or switch to connect two hosts together. There is no special configuration or software to use it. Of course, all TCP/IP protocol works and without needing to find out that they are connecting through a crossover cable.

--

Regards,

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Barat 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465