"apt-get remove" don't remove the stuff?

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sat Nov 29 18:54:40 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-30 at 02:43 +0800, howard chen wrote:

> Also, I have tried using 'rcconf', still showing proftpd, just wonder
> why it is left ....

I don't know as I have no experience with these tools. From the rcconf
manpage, "Rcconf gets a list of services from /etc/init.d and looks in
the /etc/rc?.d directories to determine whether each service is on or
off.  Rcconf detects ON state by existence of /etc/rc?.d/"S"NNname."

So, possibly the proftp package leaves scripts in /etc/init.d and/or
links in /etc/rc?.d when uninstalled. I think this would constitute a
packaging bug.

But if "dpkg -l proftp" shows the package as not installed, then this
should not matter much. Delete these scripts/links manually.