fluxbox

David Curtis dcurtis at uniserve.com
Fri Nov 28 23:04:07 UTC 2008

On Friday 28 November 2008 14:47:49 Donny George wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 9:24 AM, user1 <bqz69 at telia.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 08:47 -0800, Donny George wrote:
> > > On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 7:16 AM, user1 <bqz69 at telia.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >         On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 15:44 +0100, Donny George wrote:
> > >         > hello
> > >         >
> > >         > Recently i installed an ubuntu system with fluxbox to reduce
> > >
> > >         system
> > >
> > >         > load, though i like the idea of light weight gui i am having
> > >
> > >         a tough
> > >
> > >         > time with it. Could someone guide me to a thread or link by
> > >
> > >         which i
> > >
> > >         > can do some basic operations like open a mozilla, as i dont
> > >
> > >         know how
> > >
> > >         > to do it
> > >
> > >         Right click on the desktop, and then you can do most thing
> > >         from the
> > >         menu.
> > >         You get a panel on the bottom of the desktop, and you can add
> > >         more
> > >         desktops - this is the place where you switch desktop, click
> > >         on the
> > >         arrows to change desktop.
> > >
> > >         > Hope someone helps me
> > >         >
> > >         > --
> > >         > Donny George
> > >
> > > hello
> > >

> > > wat about adding mozilla or using mozilla
> >
> > You should open synaptic and then install mozilla, which seems to also
> > be called seamonkey.
> >
> > You should also be able to instead open a konsole (the program used to
> > run commands from the command line), and then run:
> >
> > sudo apt-get -f install seamonkey
> >
> > which should also install the program
> >
> > Then it should show up in the meny you get when you right click on the
> > desktop, and then you can start using the program
> >
> > > don
> >
> > --
>
> i already installed mozilla from the command line and wen i try to open it
> with the command firefox -p it says
>
> Error: no display specified

My guess is, your trying to run firefox in a VT, i.e. Ctrl-Alt-F1. This cannot
be done.

> just was wondering why this happened, as it seems to be a problem with
the
> displaz will it be the same with the seamonkey _

Yes.

You need to right-click and look for anything thats a terminal emulator
program like xterm, rxvt etc. Then you'll have a 'command line' within xorg.

You might want to check out fluxconf [0] and fluxmenu [1] which
unfortunately is not in the repos, to help configure fluxbox. Also a google for
fluxbox returns a myriad of resources for using fluxbox.

Dave

[0] sudo apt-get fluxconf
[1] http://fluxmenu.berlios.de/