[Resolved?] Re: [Hardy] NX (NoMachine) Sound/No Sound

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 27 19:31:57 UTC 2008

On 11/27/2008 12:14 AM, Daniel T Chen wrote:
> On 11/26/2008 09:56 PM, NoOp wrote:
>>

>> So, I can replicate, google indicates that others have had similar
>> problems, NoMachine doesn't have much other than stating that they use
>> ESD and that the 8.x Ubuntu's use pulseaudio etc.
>
> While logged into GNOME, try killing pulseaudio (`pulseaudio -k') then
> invoking it with increased verbosity and in the foreground (`pulseaudio
> -vv').  If NX uses esd, you should see the pulse daemon spew something
> to stdout regarding as much.  You should also see the error where the
> daemon bails.

Thanks! I using that I actually found that the NX sound daemon
/usr/NX/bin/nxesd -tcp is what kills the sound. Further, after the NX
client session is closed, /usr/NX/bin/nxesd -tcp stays running, so no
sound. As soon as I killed /usr/NX/bin/nxesd -tcp sound returned.

I kept a full log w/commented events if you are interested. The basic is
I show an error while testing sound when the NX client (and nxesd) is
running:

I: module-volume-restore.c: Restoring sink for
<pulsecore/protocol-native.c$gnome-sound-properties>
I: module-volume-restore.c: Restoring volume for
<pulsecore/protocol-native.c$gnome-sound-properties>
I: module-alsa-sink.c: Trying resume...
E: module-alsa-sink.c: Error opening PCM device front:0: Device or
resource busy
D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink
alsa_output.pci_8086_24d5_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0 becomes busy.

vs this when nxesd is not loaded and the sound test is working:

I: module-volume-restore.c: Restoring sink for
<pulsecore/protocol-native.c$gnome-sound-properties>
I: module-volume-restore.c: Restoring volume for
<pulsecore/protocol-native.c$gnome-sound-properties>
I: module-alsa-sink.c: Trying resume...
I: module-alsa-sink.c: Resumed successfully...
I: module-alsa-sink.c: Starting playback.

I guess I'll have to check out nxesd
(http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=nxesd)
in more detail to see if I can figure out what it is doing/not doing.

Thanks for pointer on pulseaudio -vv