Invalid resolution when using CTRL/ALT/F1 - how to fix (ubuntu 8.10)

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Thu Nov 27 16:04:17 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 09:49:45AM -0500, Rashkae wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
> > I'm running xubuntu 8.10 (though I suspect the problem is common to
> > all 8.10 versions).
> >
> > I can run X fairly reliably though I do have some issues when logging
> > in and out presumably due to switching resolutions.
> >
> > However switching to a console using CTRL/ALT/F1 (or any of the
> > others) doesn't work.  I just get an error message from my monitor
> > saying the resolution is invalid.  My monitor is a Dell 2001FP capable
> > of up to 1600x1200 so I suspect that the CTRL/ALT/F1 is switching to a
> > totally impossible resolution.
> >
> > How can I fix this problem?  Is there any way to specify the mode and
> > resolution to use for the text mode consoles?
> >
> this is probably more related to your video chipset.  I purchased a few
> G31 motherboards myself because of the hyped "Linux Support Open Source
> Drivers" only to discover that they are nothing but grief when you
> switch resolutions,, including switching virtual terminals.. In the end,
> I solved my problem with a $40 OEM nvidia card.

Yes, that has been my experience to some extent too.  I was confused
about the chipset, the one where I am having a problem is an Intel G45
chipset.  I have just bought a G31 based system but I'm not running X
on that (a server system that lives in the garage).

> Here is the documentation for setting screen resolution now:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution

I've never found that page before, very useful, thanks.

--
Chris Green