What does seahorse do?

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Thu Nov 27 13:02:33 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 12:09 +0000, Chris G wrote:

> What has Nautilus got to do with ssh?

Menu File -> Connect to server.

> I use ssh extensively and it would be useful to have it integrate with
> seahorse but, as I said, I really can't see anything anywhere that
> tells me whether it does and/or how to do it.

Well as I said, the application must make use of Seahorse's services for
the integration to be automatic. To make

less /usr/share/doc/seahorse/README. From there, if you look for which
programs are available that are named "seahorse*", you find
seahorse-agent and seahorse-tool.
Or just do ...

mario at chronic: ~ $ dpkg -L seahorse seahorse-plugins |grep "/usr/bin"
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/seahorse
/usr/bin/seahorse-daemon
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/seahorse-preferences
/usr/bin/seahorse-tool
/usr/bin/seahorse-agent
mario at chronic: ~ $

Then, "man seahorse-agent" and "man seahorse-tool". AFAIK seahorse-agent
gets started by the checkbox in the session control panel (see earlier
post of mine). It seems that from the command line you can use
seahorse-tool to interact with it (but I haven't tried it).