Wired networking

Erik Christiansen dvalin at internode.on.net
Thu Nov 27 02:07:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 06:38:13AM +0530, H.S.Rai wrote:

> > sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
> > sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager restart
>
> But, same fate. Output of ifconfig is below. No sign of LAN card :-(

[snipped ifconfig output sans any sign of eth?]

Given that NetworkManager isn't giving much joy (and it often doesn't),
you could try just using linux:

$ sudo apt-get remove --purge network-manager      # [1]

Then restore the /etc/network/interfaces entry for eth0. It could look
something like:

# The primary network interface
iface eth0 inet static
        address your.static.ip.address       # e.g. 192.168.1.2
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network your.static.ip.0
        broadcast your.static.ip.255
        gateway your.static.ip.gateway_address

If there are still problems, then at least we can diagnose your linux
configuration, not a problematic application. (Since network-manager has
been loos, it might be necessary to take a quick peek in
/etc/nsswitch.conf, but let's not get aheadof ourselves.)

I didn't catch the start of this thread, so if you want to use dhcp
instead of a static address, just yodel, and we'll see what we can do. :-)

Erik

[1] It is easily re-installed, if desired later.

--
First they came for the verbs, and I said nothing, for verbing weirds
language. Then, they arrival for the nouns and I speech nothing, for I