Wired networking

Joel Goguen jtgoguen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 16:04:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 21:11 +0530, H.S.Rai wrote:
> I upgraded Ubuntu from 8.04 LTS to 8.10 on my laptop using campus
> through wifi for my laptop Compaq Presario V3000, having Intel Pro /
> 100 VE LAN card. With 8.04, both LAN and wireless was working fine.
> But after upgradation, Network Managet Applet showed dimmed "Wired
> network". On right click and edit connection, editing failed with
> message: nm-ifupdown-connection.c.82 - connection update not supported
> (read only)
>
> What I can do to make LAN working.
>
> --
> H.S.Rai

When you edited the connection, was the name "Auto eth0"?  Or at least
start with "Auto"?  If so, you have to rename it to not start with
"Auto" before you can save changes.  I changed the name to "Ethernet",
for example, so I could change some of the settings.

--
Joel Goguen
Bug-free code is a myth.