HELP !!! No more task-bare and menu bare

Carl Friis-Hansen ubuntuuser at carl-fh.com
Wed Nov 26 13:57:23 UTC 2008

Sam Przyswa wrote:
> Carl Friis-Hansen a écrit :
>> Sam Przyswa wrote:

>>> I tried but that's don't work, nothing happens !?
>>>
>> I am very surprised that Alt-F2 doesn't work. This is bad. Then I assume
>> that Ctrl-Alt-F1 doesn't work either. However, if it does, then just
>> execute the commands from there.
>
> Ctrl-Alt-Fx open a console in text mode but what else ? - On my root
> account I can open gnome-terminal too.

then you login and execute the one or two command as your Alt-F2 thingy
didn't work. Please inform us what error messages you get.

Have you lokked at your "tail /var/log/messages" to see if you can get
some relevant info from there?

>> If you cannot get a terminal in any
>> way, then I would personally restore all the "/home/you/.*" files from
>> your backup in that you restore missing or different. You might want a
>> second opinion on this restore thing though.
>>

> I restored all the .xxx dirs and ~/Desktop but nothing changed when I
> log on my account. A full /home/me/.* backup take a lot on time, I have
> lot of gigs of files stored on my /home account.

I would have waited a little with that.

> I use Ubuntu 8.04 and the problem come after running (buggy) Evolution
> connecting to my Google Agenda as I do with Thunderbird, after I tried
> to open the desktop calendar on top right the menu-bar and then the
> menu-bar and task-bar disappear !?

You can choose not to restore last session when you login to your
accout, that might also be an idea.

--
       | Carl Friis-Hansen               | Fiskeryd Nybygget |