Transferring Files to New Ubuntu System

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 18:40:13 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney at ercbroadband.org> wrote:
> Brian McKee wrote:
>

>> Actually, the default use of rsync does use ssh encryption, just like
>> scp.  Unless you are running and rsync daemon, they are both
>> encrypted.  rsync's resume feature does make it the better choice of
>> course.
>
> I don't know about you, but I've never seen rsync default to using ssh
> as the remote shell.  That's always been a command line option or part
> of an alias command with it built in.  I've used rsync on a dozen
> different OS's and never seen that option enabled by default.

Huh.   I can't quite figure out how to 'prove' that it's the default
now, but I do know that
 - rsync uses my ssh keys by default, without me specifying -e ssh
 - it works fine on systems with only port 22 incoming open

I confess I've never run wireshark or whatever on it to prove it.

Off to google I go.....

Brian