Erase cache, clean registry in Linux

Loïc Grenié loic.grenie at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 15:10:57 UTC 2008

2008/11/25, Michael Haney <thezorch at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Manuel Gomez <mgdpz1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, i would like to know a tool or software to erase the cache, clean
>> the registry...
>>
>> Somebody could help me?
> >
> > Thank you very much, I appreciate your help.
>>

> That's the Windows way of thinking.

    Indeed... but

> For one, Linux doesn't create  temp files like Windows does

     What you mean is probably false. Lots of programs under
  Linux create temporary files, for instance Firefox (and other
  browsers) save a copy of the pages in its disk cache (situated
  in ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/Cache for Firefox). How you clean
  the cache depends very much on the program; however you
  probably mean "Firefox' cache" so that you can

click on Edit -> Preferences
in the "Advanced" tab click "Empty cache"

    If you want to empty the cache of another program, you'll
  have to specify which one !

> and secondly Linux doesn't have a  Registry.

     100% true but gnome has a configuration database which
  looks a lot like registry.

    If by "clear registry" you mean remove Firefox history, you
  have a "history bar" that you can access using <Ctrl-H>
  within which it is easy to clean history. If you mean something
  else, you'll have to be more precise.

>  Any temporary data in Linux is written to the swap
>  partition and not the main partition where the files for Linux and its
>  applications are stored.

     This is not true. Some programs create temporary files, some
  other do not, some of temporary data is stored in memory (and can
  finish in swap) some on disk some in "tmpfs" (which is like a
  ramdisk). It varies a lot.

>  In place of the Registry are config files which are in plain text so
>  if you need to edit them you can do so with a basic text editor like
>  Kate, VIM (a powerful terminal text editor), or any other editor that
>  supports plain text.

     This is absolutely true.

           Hope this helps,

                      Loïc Grenié