Problem with bluetooth mouse- 8.10

John jmuielewicz at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 25 15:01:38 UTC 2008

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 05:17:55 -0700
From: Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com>
Subject: Re: Problem with bluetooth mouse- 8.10
To: "Ubuntu user technical support,    not for general discussions"

> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 9:37 PM, John <jmuielewicz at yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> From: Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com>
>>> Subject: Re: Problem with bluetooth mouse- 8.10
>>> To: jmuielewicz at yahoo.com, "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>>> Date: Monday, November 24, 2008, 3:28 PM

>>> <jmuielewicz at yahoo.com>

>>> fine. Both

>>> mode.

>>> finds

>>> any

>>> discoverable

>>> windows

>>> package and

>>> hidd -s and

>>> bug in

>>> didn't find

>>> compuetr

>>> config

>>>    Please tell us more. Are you using a USB Dongal that is
>>> your Bluetooth device for the computer? It works with
>>> Windows because you have drivers for windows. But there are
>>> no drivers for Linux. Bluetooth is very nice but it is not
>>> available for many things.
>>>
>> I did a little more research and I believe the problem is in hcitool. Whenever I try to pair using it it always fails. I type in hcitool cc btaddr and it fails to activate the mouse. However when I use it to scan for the mouse it does find it.
>>
>> john
>>
>> --
>>

> I noticed that I was having some connection issues with my BT mouse
> (Logitech Travel Mouse) and after poking around in the preferences
> (right click on the BT icon in the notification area in the panel and
> select Preferences) I noticed that there was a setting to change the
> visibility to "always visible" and that seemed to straighten it out.
> Not sure if  that's related to your problem but figured it might be
> helpful.

    I need to say this. I am interested in the software driver for
Bluetooth in Ubuntu and linux in general. Is it a normal part of Ubuntu?
Which Bluetooth hardware does it work with?

    My Bluetooth Dongle which is a small USB device has windows but no
Linux drivers that I can find. So I did a Google search with
"linux,bluetooth,drivers" and got some hits but they were all from
people trying to FIND a driver.

    So how do you get the thing working? I assume you know the standard
password is 0000.

Karl

--

    Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
    Linux User

Both the bluetooth package and the usb package have bluetooth drivers for usb bluetooth dongles. The driver that loads for my card is called btusb and is native to the linux kernel. The utilities for handling mice and keyboards and such are called the bluez utilities. Those are the problem for me.

john