vista with xubuntu+dual boot

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 13:38:17 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Donny George <donny008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Its been some time since i have been using Ubuntu. But today when i tried
> for a dual booting system with Vista which was installed first and then
> Xubuntu. After installing xubuntu i cant see vista anymore though the Grub
> at startup shows just the Ubuntu options. (the ntfs partitions were detected
> during the scanning of the disks)
>
> Could someone tell me what went wrong, is there a way to put grub so that i
> regain my vista

When you installed Ubuntu, it should have identified the other
partitions on your machine and added entries for those partitions in
to your grub menu. If it didn't then that would indicate that at the
time of installation it could not read those other partitions. Are
those other partition in a RAID configuration per chance?

Your first step should be to post your grub menu.lst file so we can
see what you have and have not got in there. At the same time, I would
fire up a partition editor (gparted for example) and take note of what
disks and partitions you actaully have on this machine. When you're
posting the grub menu.lst file, tell us what gparted tells you - what
partitions it found, on what drives and what format/state they are in.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0