windows completely disappear when "minimize" button clicked

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 24 20:11:31 UTC 2008

--- On Mon, 11/24/08, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: windows completely disappear when "minimize" button clicked
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Monday, November 24, 2008, 1:34 PM
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Nathan Bahn
> <nathan.bahn at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Leonard Chatagnier
> <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> --- On Sun, 11/23/08, Nathan Bahn

> >> snip>

> Try purging it
> Hardy. Removing

> Nathan:
>
> They are wasting your time telling you to remove the compiz
> package.
> Compiz is the window manager that gives desktop effects,
> but I doubt
> you are running it if you have never heard of it.  Further,
>  It has
> NOTHING to do with the problem you see.  The windows are
> there, you
> just need to find them.  Use Alt-TAB.  If you start the
> window list
> applet in the gnome panel, you can find the minimized ones.
> PJ

Yes, Paul, what you say is true in general. But, wasn't the OP asking why his windows disappeared and why there were no entries in the panel. Believe it or not compiz caused me similar problems. Windows shouldn't disappear from the panel unless you closed it out or some other program is fiddling with it. I don't use Intrepid yet but would like to also know why the window disappeared and did not show on the panel.  Can you explain?
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net