Mount -o loop filename /mnt

Joel Goguen jtgoguen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 16:49:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 08:37 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Joel Goguen wrote:

> >>     Really what is going on is I have a cd-rom of WindowsXP Professional
> >> with SP2 and I want to put it on my cheap laptop from Compaq which came
> >> with Windows Vista which is Windows Melinium in character. It is so
> >> terrible I deleted it.
> >>
> >>     Well now HP has told me the SATA hard drive has been giggered so you
> >> can't load anything but Vista. I told them I loaded Ubuntu Intrepid with
> >> no problems at all from the SATA hard drive.
> >>
> >>     Then they let me d/l some strange software from the HP web page and
> >> I need to "remaster" the WinXP cd-rom with these drivers within. So I
> >> got the .iso easy with the gui Copy a disk. You then tell it to copy to
> >> a file and it does a fine job.
> >>
> >>     The mount -o loop was found on Google and it works of course. But it
> >> has a problem(s) that prompted my message. The first is you can't add
> >> any files to the .iso because it complains. I can't find any way to make
> >> it a bit bigger. I think the added drivers are about 150 mb.
> >>
> >>     What you say about getting the format right for the new cd-rom is a
> >> problem I do not know a thing about.
> >>
> >> Karl
> >>

> > I don't know what ISO level Windows XP CD uses, but try level 4 to
> > start.  All you need to do is:
> >
> > - Copy all files from the WinXP ISO to a folder on your computer
> > - Add the files you need to this folder
> > - Run genisoimage to create the new ISO image
> > - Burn the new ISO to disc
> >

>     I did make a cd-rom and it fails to boot. It looks perfect on Linux
> but it ain't good for windows. I did not use anything like a 4 and have
> no idea what that is.
>
> I used the simplest method on the man page and that it appears is too
> simple. Another drink coaster :-)
>
>     Please send the whole context of a call so my pee brain can do it.
>

> Karl

It seems that the Windows XP CD doesn't come with an obvious boot image.
The simplest method in the man page wouldn't have used it anyway though,
you need to tell genisoimage to make a bootable image.

Here's step-by-step directions I put together based on this Google
search.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=genisoimage+make+bootable+WinXP+ISO

First, here is how to extract the boot image you'll need to pass to
genisoimage:

- Run 'isoinfo -d -i /path/to/win_xp.iso'.  This will output some
information, you want to look for the line beginning with 'Bootoff'.
Write down the second number from that line.

- Extract the boot image: dd if=/path/to/win_xp.iso of=boot.img bs=2048
count=1 skip=<number from previous step>

This gives you boot.img, which you pass to genisoimage to create an El
Torito bootable image.  This command should give you a good image:

genisoimage -b /path/to/boot/img -no-emul-boot -c boot.cat
-max-iso9660-filenames -relaxed-filenames /path/to/win_xp/folder/

--
Joel Goguen
Bug-free code is a myth.