Encrypt file while you are using it

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Mon Nov 24 15:37:53 UTC 2008

Manuel Gomez wrote:
> Hi, i would like to maintain encrypt an archive in all moment, so i
> would like to know what software can be this.
>
> Now i am using Truecrypt, but when i mount the encrypted directory it's
> vulnerable. I want to mount the file and that the file can remains
> encrypt.

If I understand the question, you are already doing what is possible.

A file can be encrypted. Given the key it can be decrypted. Encrypted it
again, throw away they key and the plaintext, and you are back where you
started. I don't see how you can access a the plaintext without the
plaintext being present and so also being potentially vulnerable to others.

That is why, in addition to encryption, you need to have a secure
computer: Be careful what software you install (less is better), be
careful how you configure it, and keep your software up to date. Don't
recycle passwords on different systems. Don't type passwords you care
about on keyboards you don't control.

-kb, the Kent who doesn't login to his home Ubuntu computer from his
Windows computer at work because he doesn't fully control that
computer's configuration and he generally doesn't trust Windows, instead
he uses the tiny Ubuntu notebook he carries with wherever he goes.