Help - Adding size to a document? More security

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 20:46:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 9:16 PM, Chris Mohler <cr33dog at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Manuel Gomez <mgdpz1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi, i would like to add more size to a document to avoid hackers. If the
>>> size is too big, troyans won't download the archive (it would take days
>>> and days...)
>>>
>>> How could i do this? I am using "SFX compiler" for join an archive (3
>>> gb, for example) with my documents, but i would like to know how its
>>> done.
>>>
>>> I need: Open the document (for example, dbs in openoffice) in Linux, and
>>> more than 1 gb of size.
>>>
>>> Thank you very much, I appreciate your help.
>>
>> Hi Manuel,
>>
>> Have you looked at PGP encryption?  AFAIK it's nearly unbreakable.  I
>> don't think adding extra file size is any real security benefit...
>>
>> $0.02,
>> Chris
>
> If you have an attacker that can break GPG (that's free PGP) then you
> have an attacker that can walk into your house while you are not
> there, photograph the insides, copy your HD and return an hour later
> with an exact copy but bugged to hell.

Well, the FBI and other hackers have been able to beat PGP by
installing a keylogger to capture the passphrase - just another reason
to use *nix: the FBI  haven't ported their "Magic Lantern" yet ;)  If
you are getting your keystrokes logged, all security measures are a
moot point - even ones as silly as padding the file with zeros...

Chris