[resolved] Re: Lost Documents and Photos and desktop files and folders

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Sat Nov 22 22:06:46 UTC 2008

On Friday 07 November 2008 07:47:54 am Gary Baribault wrote:
> I have /home on a different partition, and just migrated from OpenSuSE
> to Intrepid,. but I took a complete backup of /home to a removable
> device before the migration anyway .. If I hadn't Murphy would have
> surely formatted it, but since I did, of course, Murphy let me off ..
>
> Life is like that, you can be carefull all of your life, but the first
> time you take a short cut, Murphy nails you!
>
> Gary Baribault
> Courriel: gary at baribault.net
> GPG Key: 0x4346F013
> GPG Fingerprint: BCE8 2E6B EB39 9B23 6904 1DF4 C4E6 2CF7 4346 F013
>

> > Finally, if this is all too overwhelming for Roger, if he is by some
> > chance in Southern California (within a couple of hours drive, give or
> > take) I'm willing to come to him with a machine, a big spare drive,
> > and tools to help out in the spirit of been-there-blown-my-head-off.

snip!

Thanks to all who replied on this one. The matter is now resolved from my
point of view; i.e., I've done all I can and Roger needs to do the rest. I
used foremost with the -t all option (recover all known file types) and on
two drives totalling 650 gigs was able to recover about 100K files, mostly
small and mostly useless. But not all, some were very worth recovering and it
is now up to Roger to wade through the recovered files to see what is worth
keeping.

The gent in southern California is only about 32 hours hard driving from the
little town in British Columbia where Roger's computer is, so thanks a lot!

I certainly learned a lot and am happy to have at least some positive results.
Of course now Roger has ordered a big new drive for backup purposes...

Dave

--
Canada must refuse to be entangled in any more wars fought to make the world
safe for capitalism.

-- The Regina Manifesto, 1933