Can not access my slave drive...Need help!

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Fri Nov 21 18:42:43 UTC 2008

Larry Shields wrote:
> Justin wrote:
>> It can't find /dev/sdb1 in fstab because that's a device, not a
>> partition. Your partition would be something like /dev/sdb1. If it's
>> still not in fstab, you can specify a location with: mount /dev/sdb1
>> /mnt/sdb1. You may have to create /mnt/sdb1
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Larry Shields <larryesu at charter.net
>> <mailto:larryesu at charter.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     Neil wrote:
>>     > On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Larry Shields
>>     <larryesu at charter.net <mailto:larryesu at charter.net>> wrote:
>>     >
>>     >> *As of this morning I no-longer can access my slave drive,
>>     which has
>>     >> ubuntu 8.04 on it...
>>     >>
>>     >> Upon booting up, I use the arrow key to move down to my second
>>     drive,
>>     >> hit enter it then tells me Error 22: No such partition and no
>>     format
>>     >> arguments...
>>     >>
>>     >> I then tried Knoppix 5.1 to see if it would access the slave
>>     drive, what
>>     >> it told me as could not mount device...
>>     >>
>>     >> The reported error was:
>>     >> mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was
>>     specified...
>>     >>
>>     >> Can anyone help me out as to what I may need to do, to be able
>>     to once
>>     >> again access the slave drive, without loosing what I have on it...
>>     >>
>>     >> Thanks in advance Larry
>>     >> *
>>     >>
>>     >
>>     > Hi
>>     >
>>     > First: do you have a backup?
>>     > Can you please post the error message that says you can't mount it?
>>     > Can you SMART test it using Knoppix?
>>     > Have you checked the cable? (I have seen someone with an
>>     inexplicable
>>     > hole in an IDE cable, in a PC that hasn't been open for a year. He
>>     > hasn't been able to tell me how it happend)
>>     >
>>     > Hope I can help
>>     >
>>     > Neil
>>     >
>>     >
>>     >
>>     >
>>     >
>>     Hello Neil,
>>
>>     Know I do not have a backup...
>>
>>     When trying to use the command mount, it  says can't find /dev/sdb in
>>     /etc/fstab, thats all...
>>
>>     Now how do you SMART TEST it using Knoppix...???
>>
>>     Larry
>>
>>     --
>>     Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
>>     by Ubuntu ver 8.10 Intrepid
>>     73 de Larry/wd9esu 32yr's A.R.O.

> [...]

Larry, based one what you have shown us so far, (and without reading the
entire thread.) I strongly believe you have suffered fundamental and
catastrophic hardware failure.

I won't offer to help you here because there are simply too many
variables to try passing back and forth over e-mail, but I offer this
advise:

If you care for the data on the drive for which you have no backup, I
strongly suggest you bring the computer to an experienced technician
(hopefully with some Linux knowledge, you may have to look around in
your area to find one, but they do exist.)

Be aware that if my prediction of your problem proves correct, the move
you fudge with random advise you are likely to get from all corners of a
public mailing list, the much greater chance you will loose all
possibility of recovery.