Wifi connection level lower on Ubuntu than on Windows

Vincent Arnoux vincent.arnoux at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 11:41:07 UTC 2008

Hello,
I have a Panasonic CF-W5 with a dual-boot on Ubuntu 8.10 and Windows XP. At
work, the wifi signal is pretty low but I can connect when booted on windows
fairly easily, even if I get disconnected from time to time. When booted on
Ubuntu 8.10 (8.04 was the same), I cannot even see the network and the rare
times I can see it, it won't connect, failing at the "gettting IP address"
step. The connection setup is fine as, if I move to another room where the
signal is better, I can connect normally.

The network card is an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG chipset and I use on
Ubuntu the default driver. I can think of 2 things:
1) The Ubuntu install is in a battery saving mode where it doesn't give full
power to the wifi antenna
2) The driver I am using on my Ubuntu install is not as good as the Windows
one and I should use the Windows one instead

Does anyone know where this problem comes from?

Thanks,
Vincent