printer dell 1815dn ethernet mfp: cups and ppd

PierPaolo pierpaolo.franco at
Fri Nov 21 10:49:37 UTC 2008

Hi all,
this is driving me mad, since almost one year ago:

I have to print from ubuntu 8.04 to a network printer (dell 1815dn mfp), and
I cannot print, using the manufacturer's ppd.
That worked for me some years ago, as in this forum post:
- huge delay (some as ten minutes) from send command to actually print
- cannot access to the http frontend of the printer via firefox
- sometimes i saw garbage (=sheet filled with sequences of integers)
- sometimes raw codes (=i.e. "dup (G) 3 -1 roll 0 1 0 SEXTANT 60

even on the PrintTestPage!
what's the matter?

ipv6 i thought, so i try to deactivate ipv6 support (with ipv6 off in
modules alias), but this don't work. I downgraded the machine firmware that
i recently upgraded from windows, so i am certain that with this firmware
the printer work(ed)...

Heelp please!