virtual network interface for VirtualBox

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Nov 21 09:31:18 UTC 2008

Nguyễn Hoàng Lân wrote:
> can I add a virtual interface for my ethernet card: I want use it for
> VirtualBox:
>            auto eth0:1
>            ifcace eth0:1 inet static
>                    address 192.168.0.10
>                    network 192.168.0.0
>                    netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> I have tried, then restart, after long time to wait while starting
> (find a DHCP server?), my machine starts with static ip: 192.168.0.10,
> and Network icon don't show on gnome bar any more. How can I use dhcp
> for my NIC while a virtual interface (static ip) exits for using with
> VirtualBox ? I am using Ubuntu 8.10.

I don't think the virtual interface would work. You are looking for
the "hostinterface" network connection of VirtualBox which is used
together with a network bridge on the host. Some time ago I described how
to make it work with 8.04 at [1] (which was more or less an abstract of
the description in the VirtualBox manual) but it shouldn't be different
with 8.10. Maybe [2] is interesting for you as well. And you can assign a
static IP to the interface of your guest OS within the guest if you don't
want to use DHCP there.

Nils

[1] <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2008-June/149618.html>
[2] <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2008-June/149648.html>