Wi Fi on my laptop solved

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Nov 20 23:58:23 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 11/20/2008 01:11 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>>     Well on my cheap laptop with Intrepid I did a lshw -C network and
>> got this for my effort to connect to a WiFi internet.
>>
>>   *-network UNCLAIMED
>>        product: AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter
>>        vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
>>        physical id: 0
>>        bus info: pci at 0000:02:00.0
>>        version: 01
>>        width: 64 bits
>>        clock: 33MHz
>>        capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix cap_list
>>        configuration: latency=0
>>
>> I gather the kernel driver for this device is un-availium on Linux. It
>> seems to work ok for Windows.  What must I do to get WiFi on my Intrepid?
>>

> Perhaps try this first?
>
> <http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bintrepid+%2B%22AR242x+802.11abg+Wireless+PCI+Express+Adapter%22&btnG=Search>

    I did so and found the web page madberry.org and he has a step by
step method to get a kernel package and get the tools to compile the
package and compile and install and it ALL WORKS just FINE!!!!

    So anyone with this problem needs to do his thing. He forgets to say
use sudo for several steps so be careful and this is not for a new Linux
user :-)

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI