connecting to x over phone lines

The_Eye_In_The_Sky syiwabhairawa at yahoo.com.sg
Thu Nov 20 16:14:45 UTC 2008

Linda wrote:
> Just wondering is there a way I can allow someone to connect via phone
> line and use x based programs from their home windows computers?

I did that around 1997-2000, connecting to Sun box at the office at
home. However doing X directly or X tunneled through SSH is not
practical, too slow for dial up. So what I did is using VNC instead.
Should be good enough for major application as long as you do not need
great detailed information like spreadsheet or photo editing.

Oh yah, our modem line was V.90, thus around 53 Kbps download, 33.6 Kbps
upload.

--
"Man is a slave to money which, however, is nobody's slave."

Bhishma to Yudhisthira at Kurukshetra