Reformatting a USB stick that shows up as two devices?

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Nov 20 14:12:34 UTC 2008

Adam Funk wrote:
> I have a USB memory stick that shows up as two drive devices (/dev/sdc
> and /dev/sdd, along with partitions /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdc2).  Is it
> possible to reformat the whole thing into one?

It's certainly possible.  I would just use fdisk to delete both existing
partitions and create a single partition that covers the entire drive.
Depending on the size of the flash drive, fat16 might be a better bet
than fat32 since you'll lose some free space using FAT32 on a drive
that's less than 2GB.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support