Reformatting a USB stick that shows up as two devices?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Thu Nov 20 14:06:18 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 01:31:19PM +0000, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2008-11-20, Carl Friis-Hansen wrote:
>
> > Adam Funk wrote:
> >> I have a USB memory stick that shows up as two drive devices (/dev/sdc
> >> and /dev/sdd, along with partitions /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdc2).  Is it
> >> possible to reformat the whole thing into one?
>
> I typed some of that wrong.  It shows up as two devices, /dev/sdc and
> /dev/sdd, and each has its own single partition, /dev/sdc1 and
> /dev/sdd1, respectively.
>
> > Normally yes.
> > You could use fdisk or gperted to repartition the whole stick to
> > whatever file system you prefer.
>
> I don't see how to use those tools to merge the two devices together,
> since they work on only one device at a time.
>
> It may be that what I'm asking for is impossible --- is that the case?

Are you absolutely sure that it shows up as two devices?  If you
remove the USB stick do both /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd disappear?  If they
don't then remove them 'manually' using umount.

When both /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd have gone (with the USB stick
unplugged) plug it back in carefully and see if you really get both
devices back.

--
Chris Green