Convincing a school district to migrate from OS X to Ubuntu or Edubuntu

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Thu Nov 20 01:26:47 UTC 2008

Christopher Chan wrote:

> You have just blown away the whole retraining argument for using Linux.
> If you have to constantly retrain Windows users, there ain't no TCO
> argument on the training front anymore.

No, TCO in training comes from the fact that users DON'T watch those
videos unless forced, or attend learning workshops unless forced, and
schools, quite frankly, will not rise up on a person's crusade to
replace what is more or less working for them to force their staff to
use these resources when the easiest thing for the users is to just have
their IT people do it for them.

>> Training is inconvenient for end users and they don't want to do it.
>> They view their IT department as the ones to do these annoying things
>> for them.
>
> /me shrugs. When I finally clear out the mess left behind by the
> previous predecessors, I will offer voluntary training for the teachers.
>   For some, it is going to be hard...they are over fifty and will need
> constant reminders. For others, I don't see a problem.

Honestly, good luck. Maybe yours is a cultural environment where you
won't get pushback.

>> AND there's rollover in staff. One time pain to teach someone how to do
>> it "your district's way"? I don't think so.
>
> Thank you for blowing away the foundations of your TCO argument with
> regards to Linux vs Windows on the training front.

My TCO argument? I didn't think I brought that up...

What I initially replied to was the argument that it's a one-time cost
and a non-issue because it was a one-time cost. I was saying that it's
not one-time, that users won't do it unless forced, and even when they
attend they don't retain it unless exercising it often (such as adding
network printers in Windows).