Intrepid Sound Fixes

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 16:58:24 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 4:41 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:

> The trick works inserting "ifconfig wlan0 down" (or the active network
> interface in use) at the begining of the stop) section of /etc/init.d/alsa-utils.

> Btw, if your alsa-mixer is always mute at system start, and does not
> remember the last settings, the trick also fixes it.

Karl, on the basis that you've probably done more digging into this
than most people, have you come across any information which explains
*why* dropping ethernet networks fixes a problem with alsa-mixer?
Makes absolutely no sense to me at all, and I can't actually come up
with a scenario where even a driver bug would cause something like
this to happen.

I don't suffer from this issue, but from a technical standpoint I'd be
quite interested in finding out what the cause of the problem actually
was... I'd not be overly keen on shoving ifconfig statements into the
shutdown script for the sound subsystem either, as in 2 years time
I'll have no idea they are there and if I DO come across them I'll
have no idea WHY they are there.

Any pointers to relevant webpages/forums/bug-reports would be appreciated.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0