Convincing a school district to migrate from OS X to Ubuntu or Edubuntu

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Wed Nov 19 15:01:32 UTC 2008

Christopher Chan wrote:
> CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:

>> That's because they may not save any money at all if the cost of
>> retraining and the loss of productivity during the transition period
>> exceeds the cost of software licenses. This is the TCO (Total Cost of
>> Ownership) argument, which is an argument that Apple is very experienced
>> at making.
>>

> A one time pain. Don't forget to make training videos and make them
> available over the network! It will all be over in a year or two!
> TCO...hah! Who does TCO over a decade?

One time pain?!  Do you know how many times you can tell a someone how
to do something like change a default printer on Windows and *still* get
called with that same question from that same person? Or how to save a
file to the home directory? These were things that we personally showed
people. Repeatedly.

The issue is if it's something they don't want to do, they won't listen
and memorize how to do it. Training videos take time to make (lost time
and resources there) and watch. Users do NOT want to watch videos or
anything else that takes up their time when they can just call and have
a person get back to them to fix it for them so that it's more
convenient for them. Otherwise every fast food joint would eke out
barely any profit and every 10-minute quick oil change joint would be
out of business.

Training is inconvenient for end users and they don't want to do it.
They view their IT department as the ones to do these annoying things
for them.

AND there's rollover in staff. One time pain to teach someone how to do
it "your district's way"? I don't think so.