Convincing a school district to migrate from OS X to Ubuntu or Edubuntu

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Wed Nov 19 14:19:49 UTC 2008

> Macs are running Unix. They have FreeBSD underneath, so all the
> editors & shells & ... available on Linux are available there too. Of
> course there are differences in various details. Overall I prefer Linux,
> but there are things on BSD that I consider far better.

FreeBSD != UNIX. UNIX ain't BSD. In this context, just call 'Linux'
computers GNU. Mac OS X is UNIX certified with respects to environment
and it ain't FreeBSD underneath. FreeBSD don't do Mach.

Ubuntu is GNU...what do you find on BSD that is far better than GNU?
> Of course, they have extras, the Mac GUI, Safari, ... but they can
> run all the standard stuff too. If you want X and your favorite
> window manager, you can have them. Or Firefox, or ....

If they are ported.
> Every Windows box I use, I think about putting a Unix on it.
> Which Unix depends on the machine & applications. Xubuntu
> is my first choice for a PC-based desktop, OpenBSD for a
> firewall, ...

Please, please. Let's make it clear. You think about putting GNU on it.
You don't think about creating pain for yourself by putting UNIX on it.
You want working vi/vim, grep, sed, ..., ..., ...
> It wouldn't occur to me to put Linux on a Mac. It already has
> a perfectly good Unix.

Ahem. That is precisely why we put Linux (GNU system) on a Mac. It don't
have GNU on it.
 Okay, it does have some GNU on it but whatever. Not enough GNU.