Frequency scaling survey

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Wed Nov 19 11:37:37 UTC 2008

Owen Townend schreef:
> 2008/11/19 Slim Joe <slimjoe2k8 at gmail.com>:
>> Could some list members post the result of the
>> following two commands (second "cat" command may
>> break across two lines):
>>
>> cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'model name'
>> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
>>
>> I'm looking to upgrade my current Sempron 1.8GHz
>> and am interested to find which mainstream dual-
>> core processor (Intel or AMD) is most efficient
>> at doing nothing. (The Atom would be too slow
>> for me.)

I'm using Hardy and got the following results:
  cat /proc/cpuinfo|grep 'model name'
model name	: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies:
Bestand of map bestaat niet (file or directory not available).
I didn't know that the kernel version 2.6.24-19-generic om an AMD-64
(see above) does not provide for frequency scaling.
(I think Noop mentioned the same 'problem').
My directory  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/ does not contain the
directory cpufreq.
I see several modules loaded related to cpufreq (with lsmod) but
apparently this kernel-version is differently organized.
Joep