timewatcher in Ubuntu

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 09:06:50 UTC 2008

dickson kalmbo <dickson_k at hotmail.com> wrote:

> My  internet café using windows and time controller am using time watcher
> so I am planning to migrate  to Linux Ubuntu My question is there's any
> application running in Ubuntu like time watcher because am not expert in
> Ubuntu

What does time watcher do?

Can you get what you need by just writing a script to get the information from
system logs? Start with "man wtmp" to find out about those.

Any of the standard shells, or X, run scripts at startup and shutdown.
Could you get what you need by modifying those scripts?

In the password file, you can set each user's shell, the program they get
on login. You could make that point to your own program that logs what
you need, then drops them into a standard shell or X session, and when
that exits, control returns to your program which does more logging, or
calculates the charges, or whatever.

--
Sandy Harris,
Quanzhou, Fujian, China