Convincing a school district to migrate from OS X to Ubuntu or Edubuntu

Paige Thompson erratic at devel.ws
Tue Nov 18 21:12:14 UTC 2008

David,

I totally disagree with Clifford, that's just exactly the kind of mentality
that has held Ubuntu back. Never be the last to stand up and say, its time
for change. This morning I forwarded this thread to my boss, and he's ready
to try Ubuntu on a computer here. So far in my efforts to migrate the school
away from software that *they can't afford, *have been successful and
*all*of what we have here today is comparable.

Here's a road map for us,

x. Google Apps - already migrated from exchange
1. Get more people using Thunderbird, The Lightening plugin, and the contact
sync plugin.Already people are using the web based stuff whether they like
it or not.
x. Firefox - We already use Firefox all over the campus and while it would
be nice to have Administrative templates, it's more common practice to
control content  and internet usage using a content filter / transparent
proxy.

2. Open Office - Should be easy considering most of the folks around here
really don't like Office 2007.

3. Web Based Accelerated Reader - We already have web-based mathematics
stuff.

Wish list, but really unnecessary in retrospect:

- Google Apps support for hashed passwords if its not there already
- An easy way to deploy Ubuntu with support for authenticating against an
LDAP server, preferably a Ubuntu Server
- A backup service that will authenticate google apps either out of LDAP or
using special administrative privaledges to pull messages for all of the
email accounts through IMAP as well as IMAP folders "labels".

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 12:41 PM, CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com