No Sound

Robert Goodermote 8000dragon at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 20:06:37 UTC 2008

I have checked. Ubuntu does recognize that I have a sound card and
typing "alsamixer" in the terminal shows that all of the sliders are
not muted. I updated from 7.10. Yes. Now I am using the latest version
of Hardy.
As for the model of Emachine. I have no clue. All it says on the thing
is "Emachines" no model number or anything.
As for the codes. In order as you listed

 0 [IXP            ]: ATIIXP - ATI IXP
                      ATI IXP rev 2 with unknown codec at 0xd0603400, irq 17
 1 [Modem          ]: ATIIXP-MODEM - ATI IXP Modem
                      ATI IXP Modem rev 2 at 0xd0603800, irq 17

grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*: I got nothing, something
special I have to do?

snd_atiixp_modem       18312  5
snd_via82xx_modem      16904  0
snd_intel8x0m          19212  0
snd_atiixp             22284  2
snd_ac97_codec        102180  4
snd_atiixp_modem,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_intel8x0m,snd_atiixp
ac97_bus                3200  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm_oss            51232  1
snd_mixer_oss          18432  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                86660  8
snd_atiixp_modem,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_intel8x0m,snd_atiixp,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy           4996  0
snd_seq_oss            35968  0
snd_seq_midi           10784  0
snd_rawmidi            27168  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event      8448  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                58320  6
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer              25988  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device          9612  5
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd                    64708  26
snd_atiixp_modem,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_intel8x0m,snd_atiixp,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore               8800  2 snd
snd_page_alloc         12168  5
snd_atiixp_modem,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_intel8x0m,snd_atiixp,snd_pcm

00:14.5 Multimedia audio controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400
AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:14.6 Modem: ATI Technologies Inc SB400 AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 02)

As for that alsamixer user thing, you mind explaining that a little
bit more in detail?
I am a semi-experienced user...but still clueless.

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Nigel Henry
<cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
> On Monday 17 November 2008 19:31, Robert Goodermote wrote:
>> Alright, so I got this laptop an Emachine..a dumb idea I know..and I
>> installed Ubuntu 7 using a text version installer. Then I upgraded to
>> 8. My problem is that I have no sound and I have not been able to
>> activate it at all. Everything is turned all the way up. My sound card
>> is an ATI card I believe. But I am not 100% sure.
>
> Hi Robert.
>
> Which E-machine model is it?
>
> Was the sound working with the Ubuntu 7 version? And was that 7.10 (gutsy
> gibbon).
>
> Can you post the same output I asked Karl to post, as below.
>
> cat /proc/asound/cards
> grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*
> lsmod | grep snd
> lspci    (just the bit for the sound card will do)
>
> You say that "Everything is turned all the way up", but opening alsamixer as
> user just shows the single pulseaudio slider. Did you try opening alsamixer
> as below as user.
> alsamixer -D hw:0
>
> If your card is actually hw:0, you may find more sliders, and perhaps controls
> that may be muted. The main sliders that need to be up, are Master, Front,
> PCM, and the CD one if you want to try sounds out with a music cd.
>
> Which audio apps did you try, to get sound output?
>
> Over to you.
>
> Nigel.
>
> Sorry for CC'ing you. Problems posting to the list.

Usted está sin cera et je vous protégera