Software to monitor domains

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Tue Nov 18 03:17:18 UTC 2008

CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> Ray Parrish wrote:
>
>> CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
>>
>>> I created a very simple Python script <http://www.dinamis.com/node/31>
>>> that will enable you to monitor one or more servers and if a given
>>> server has a problem, it will put up a KDE dialogue window notifying you
>>> of the nature of the problem.
>>>

>> I took a look at your script, and I like it, but I've already written a
>> bash script with wget that will serve the purpose for me.
>>

> My script reveals the error code if the site is unresponsive and it
> would be much easier to extend to support different notification
> methods, such as via IM, IRC, or SMS.
>
> By the way, it is unnecessary for you to have the script running all the
> time and using a sleep 60 between polling the servers. Just use cron to
> invoke the script at some reasonable interval.

Well, that would be better I suppose...if I could figure out how to use
cron. I haven't looked at it lately, but I remember trying to figure out
how to use it for recurring reminders and I couldn't figure it out then.

I'll have another look at it and see if I can figure it out this time.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows