Ubuntu Intrepid is flawed

Larry Shields larryesu at charter.net
Mon Nov 17 20:54:03 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:

>> Glenn Holmer wrote:

>>> What about PulseAudio?  That's certainly not part of the kernel, and
>>> many people have reported having problems with it.

>>> I had no sound from my Audigy card until I went to the volume control
>>> and de-selected "Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack", which I don't
>>> remember having had to do before.  I still don't know if any of the more
>>> exotic things I tried first had any effect, although it's all good now.
>>>

>>     Here is some good data from loading Intrepid on my laptop and
>> allowing no updates at all. Here is what I did:
>>
>>     1. Loaded Intrepid from LiveCD.
>>
>>     2. Re-booted to hard drive and d/l VLC and found my movies have
>> sound and picture.
>>
>>     3. Re-booted and the re-boot hung on the item "turn off (sound
>> software)" and I turned off the power.
>>
>>     4. Brought it back on and all sound is gone. In fact the sound
>> device on the upper edge was turned off. I turned it back on but it did
>> no good.
>>
>>     5. I re-boot and waited for it to re-boot which is a long time. When
>> it came back up still no sound.
>>

>>     The conclusions are simple and not worth much I fear. But for what
>> it is worth the 180 Updates have zero zero effect on the sound problem.
>> I will now let the updates flow and verify this no improvement.
>>
>>     The problem can be my laptop. The only reason not to blame the
>> laptop is that Windows runs fine and has good sound right now. It is
>> Vista Basic.
>>

>> Karl
>>

>     The 180 updates appears to have changed nothing. Still zero sound
> but good images. I will not try any more tricks to get sound. It is
> broken in Intrepid period!
>
> Karl

*When I first installed 8.10, I did have sound, then something happened,
to cause it to stop...So what I did since it was working I  reinstall
8.10, once again, with all of the updates it is still working for me...I
have sound for all of the media players even with Firefox...

At least it works for me now...
*