Fix Intrepid sound

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Nov 17 12:15:42 UTC 2008

Daniel T Chen wrote:
> On 11/16/2008 09:17 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>>      If you have sound when you first turned on your Intrepid but then
>> after one or more re-boots your sound failed, this will fix that
>> problem. It was sent to me by Nigel Henry in France.
>>
>>      There is a device you can work with called the AlsaMixer which these
>> days you can reach by opening a terminal window. In this type alsamixer.
>> If you see just one adjustment then pulse audio is on and working.
>>
>>      Now turn off AlsaMixer and do this by pressing the esc key. Now
>> bring it back up using this: alsamixer -D hw:0 which will show all your
>> AlsaMixer settings. My laptop has 7 adjustments but the critical one is
>> called PCM and it was, for some reason set at zero. This was why my
>> sound quit. I set it back to 90 and now my sound is again normal.
>>
>>      Turn off the AlsaMixer with esc and your done. Good reading is the
>> man pages for AlsaMixer.
>>

>> Karl
>>

> Please note that adjusting mixer controls via alsamixer will only "fix
> intrepid sound" if a mixer control(s) were in fact the culprit.
> Luckily, your issue was easily resolved by unmuting the appropriate
> control.  (Many users' controls do not in fact offer a 'PCM'.)

    Hi Daniel, I meant to say that for example, my sound was fixed by
turning the PCM control back on. Nigel talked about a FRONT control that
I do not have on either of my computers.

    I have re-booted my laptop 3 times and the re-boot has not changed
the AlsaMixer settings. But something did of course, and it would be
interesting to know what.

    Be interesting to see how many of the Intrepid sound problems turn
out to be something other than a AlsaMixer adjustment. My guess is not many.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User