Can't get laptop into more than 800x600?

Kim Briggs patiodragon at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 22:21:19 UTC 2008

On 11/14/08, Knute Johnson <knute2008 at www.knutejohnson.com> wrote:
> I installed Ubuntu on my older laptop but the only options for screen
>  resolution are 800x600 and 640x480.  I ran 1024x768 with XP and Fedora.
>   Any ideas how to get there?
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  --
>
>  Knute Johnson
>  knute2008 at www.knutejohnson.com

Knute,

It is really worth it to research your laptop make and model and find
out what video card is used.  You may be able to install additional
drivers.

Ubuntu can do an initial check through System - Administration -
Hardware Drivers

As long as you make a backup to the xorg.conf file, you can try to
reconfigure the package:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

and follow the instructions.  If you boot up to blackness, you can
press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a terminal, where you can use the cp or mv
command to replace the existing xorg.conf file with the backup.  Make
sure you are comfortable with doing this before starting.

cheers,
--
http://kimbriggs.com