update manager

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Sat Nov 15 00:15:10 UTC 2008

On Friday 14 November 2008 12:34:07 pm Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 20:17 +0000, norman wrote:
> > Perhaps I did not explain myself very well. I assumed that when there
> > are updates to be downloaded, if I clicked on Update Manager in
> > System/Administration the window that appears would show any updates
> > waiting.
>
> Oh, I misunderstood. I thought the little notification icon in the panel
> does not come up - this comes up quite often on the list, and usually it
> is caused by the notification area missing.
>
> > If I open a terminal and use sudo apt-get upgrade followed by
> > sudo apt-get update and I get an icon in the top panel showing that
> > there are updates the Update Manager window is still empty. However,
> > when I click on the icon in the top panel the Update Manager window
> > which opens does show the updates. This seems quite odd to me.
>
> I usually have to press the "check" button. It probably depends on when
> you look: AFAICT the repositories are updated twice a day (might depend
> on the particular mirror you use), and I think the update manager checks
> them once a day, at a regular time that is however different per
> machine. I think the particular time is decided at installation time
> (and probably saved somewhere in a config file) and spread out over the
> day to take load off the machines.

Actually, it seems to update once a day alright but the 24 hours are timed
from the last time it checked for updates.  If you make it check for updates
manually at 4:44 am, it will check again by itself 24 hours later!   You
could however, if you heard that something had been updated later in the
afternoon, force the check and it would reload your update files now showing
that new file.  Now however, the auto check would now be that afternoon time
where you forced the check rather than the 4:44 am time.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org