Need to install Ubuntu via USB

Loïc Grenié loic.grenie at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 16:00:28 UTC 2008

2008/11/14 Scott <slewin at bmts.com>:
> Loïc Grenié wrote:
>>     There may be an error hidden by the initramfs. Try to type
>>
>> cat /casper.log
>>
>>   at the busybox prompt, the last line(s) should contain the error
>>   (if there is one).
> I did it and there were errors.
>
> there are 11 lines of this
> /init: /init: 1: cannot open /dev/hda: No medium found

     This is the cdrom.

> And there is a few lines of
> stdin: error 0

    error 0 = no error

> and a few lines of the same cannot open but refering to /dev/sdb and
> /dev/sdb1 instead

    /dev/sda is probably the hard disk and /dev/sdb is probably the
  USB key

> I am not totally sure what this means, but I think it may have trouble
> finding the hard drive.  How would that cause a problem with a live disk?

     You are right, it has a problem with a "virtual" hard drive that is
  the USB disk. If the analysis is correct, the problem is rather
  obvious: it cannot find the rest of the distribution...

> the last two lines, which may be the most important, says:
> mount: Mounting /dev/loop1 on /cow failed: Invalid argument
> Can not mount /dev/loop1 on /cow

    There is a problem with loop1 which is a virtual disk whose
  contents is the contents of a file. If what I said above is
  correct, i.e. that it cannot find the USB key, then it's not
  surprising that it cannot mount this loop1.

    I don't know how to help you much more. You can try to
  use dmesg | more at the busybox prompt to try to understand
  what goes wrong with /dev/sdb and if ever it is the USB key.
  If you manage to somehow give us the result of dmesg, it
  might shed some light (the problem is that you might not
  have an easy way to copy it...).

     Friendly,

       Loïc Grenié