Totem

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Nov 13 22:38:11 GMT 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:
>     I am lost it appears. On my cheap lap-top I got Hardy loaded using
> the Alternate CD and it looked perfect and was so I think. I got 170
> updates and it was really what I wanted.
>
>     Then I did a really stupid thing. I tried to look at a file with
> totem. Of course it could not play the file and it said you need some
> more special files, 2 in fact. I installed both and they ruined ALL my
> Sound and Video things.
>
>     These 2 files were from a computer outside the USA and they are
> faulty in some way. I did not write down the name of the files. If you
> know the file names I can remove them and get my Sound and Video systems
> working again.
>
>     I did look at Google and put in ubuntu,totem,freeze and got several
> thousand web things to read. I find this is a very common PROBLEM. But
> after reading 15 of them there was no solution offered except to re-load
> your ubuntu and the next step is to with great haste delete all of totem.
>
> Karl

    Well it is now clear the VLC problem is something to do with the
lap-top. I re-loaded Hardy which was easy and the updates are flowing. I
did d/l VLC and delete totem and found that VLC still freezes the
computer. No idea what it might be but it is not a problem with Totem.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User