How to find what 'new' packages have been installed?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 13 21:51:53 UTC 2008

On 11/13/2008 01:19 PM, Chris G wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 11:52:36AM -0800, NoOp wrote:
[snip]
>> Note that the install doen't show in the Synaptic File|History, but it
>> does show in the dpkg log.
>>
>> You'll find previous dpkg logs in the same location.
>>
> Yes, OK, I did respond positively to some of the replies here. The
> records in /var/log do provide most of what I need.  (I don't know
> about 'gedit' though!  :-)  )

I only recommended gedit to start because it's easy to scroll through
the file if it's large; using 'cat' in the terminal can easily run out
of lines. Now that you see the format, I suppose you could actually even
pipe the logs into a spreadsheet and/or database. Just save the log
someplace, rename it as a .csv and open in Calc., etc.