POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS: Re: /home/<user>/.gvfs causing problems for rsync

Johann Spies jspies at sun.ac.za
Wed Nov 12 05:38:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 10:17:01AM +1100, Karl Auer wrote:

> A safer rsync workaround than this might be to enumerate the top-level
> objects in each home directory, and build an *include* list (which would
> omit unwanted directories such as .gvfs) and pass that list to rsync.
> Then rsync will not need to inspect the non-included directories,
> however fleetingly. This solution is much more complicated, but the
> include-list builder would only need to be written once, would work on
> all home directories and would not require any changes to the gvfs
> stuff. Note that I haven't actually tried this :-)

You are correct.  This would be a much safer way of doing it. Thanks
for your input.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "He that loveth father or mother more than me is not
      worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more
      than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not
      his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of
      me."                   Matthew 10:37,38