gdm resolution still having a problem

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 12 02:52:59 UTC 2008

On 11/11/2008 01:47 PM, Barton Phillips wrote:
> I tried the suggested fix but it didn't seem to do anything. The font in the
> gdm is so small that I can't read it and therefore have no idea what to do.
> When I made the following change:
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>     Identifier    "Default Layout"
>   screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0
> # <blp 11/11/2008 set virtual so gdm will come up in lower
> # resolution>
>   SubSection "Display"
>                Virtual 800 600
>   EndSubSection
> # </blp>
> EndSection
>
> and rebooted I got a screen with something asking question which was so
> small I had no idea what it was saying. I had to Alt-Ctrl-F1 to a console
> and reedit the xorg.conf script to remove the "fix".
>
> I really don't need the gdm that often as I have the system boot right into
> my desktop and only on rare occasions do I need to return the the gdm login,
> but still I would like it to be at a readable font size -- please help.

You didn't continue in whatever thread you refering to so it's not
possible to know what "suggested fix" you tried. However, open xorg.conf
in gedit: gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and search for all lines with 'virtual'. Change the settings to whatever
is standard for your screen. So, for example:

Virtual 800 600
cahange to 1024 768
etc. Log out & see how that affects your gdm.