Gracefully logging off another user.

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Tue Nov 11 21:47:28 UTC 2008

Rashkae wrote:
>> Colin Murphy wrote:
>>> On my home, family machine, members of the household are quite happy
>>> to 'Switch User' and open up a session for themselves - they seem far less
>>> happy to log out again at the end of a session.  This usually means there are
>>> several, three, maybe four, active sessions running on the one machine.  If
>>> one of these sessions has some processor intensive task running, say they've
>>> left a browser on some flash rich page, system response times really plummet.
>>>
>>> Instruction and education to family members, some times with a larting stick,
>>> has not reaped the rewards one might have hoped for.  So ...
>>>
>>> What is the most graceful way, as a super user, to log out another user
>>> closing all of their processes and ending their session?
>>>
>> There is no graceful way.
>>

> Err, right, amend that to "I don't know of any graceful way"....
>
> You'd think I would know better than to state absolutes on a list of
> people like Derek who know stuff :)

Well...

since you're the admin and you've said that your LART methods aren't
working,

open a terminal, "sudo passwd <username>"

Then switch back to the user in question, log them out.

Give them a note telling them to change their @#$ password and don't do
it again...this is really the only way I know of to gracefully eliminate
their sessions.